Visa Subclass 189 is an Australian permanent resident visa for individuals who are not sponsored by an employer, a family member or the state government. An applicant of this visa must submit an EOI (Expression of Interest) in order to start with a valid visa application.
Note: New Zealand citizens must apply for this visa under the stream of New Zealand Visa.
Let’s learn about other important points you must about 189 visa:
Eligibility Criteria of subclass visa 189:
The applicants of Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 must meet the following eligibility criteria as set by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) to get the visa grant:
- Must submit an Expression of Interest through skills-select
- Must possess required skills
- Must be invited by the territory or state government for the skilled visa
- Must get the positive skill assessment report by a relevant organization
- Must hold at least a graduation degree (or equivalent) at the time of invitation
- Must hold minimum two years of work experience at the time of invitation
- Must be adept in English language skills with six bands in each module in IELTS or equivalent test
- Must not be more than 45 years of age at the time of invitation and application
- Must secure at least 65 points in the Skilled Migration Points Test
- Must possess appropriate health & character certificates
- Must not hold any debts towards government of Australia and must repay , if any
- Any individual who have had a visa cancellation during their last visit to Australia will not be able to apply for this visa
Benefits of this visa 189 Australia
Subclass 189 Visa provides the holder with several benefits including:
- Live indefinitely in Australia
- Work in the nominated position in Australia permanently
- Study any course in Australia with local student benefits
- Enroll in the Australia’s health care scheme, Medicare and get the health related benefits
- Sponsor eligible family to live permanently in Australia with PR status
- Travel as often as you want without any restrictions (to-and-from Australia)
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if qualify
Cost and duration of the 189 visa
The application cost for point tested stream is AUD 3755 and for New Zealand stream is AUD 3750. And the application processing time is between 6-7 months for Points-tested stream and 10-16 months for New Zealand stream.
How to apply for visa subclass 189?
Follow the below mentioned process in order to apply for Skilled Migration 189 Visa:
- Check whether your occupation is there on the Skilled Occupation List or not
- Complete the skills assessment by the relevant government authority
- Once you receive a positive assessment of skills, submit the EOI form with all the information including skills, qualification & proposed occupation
- Then check if you meet the 65 points requirement in the Skilled Migration Points Test
- Wait for the invitation from territory or state government to apply for the visa (It may take up to two years to receive invitation)
- Prepare all the documents
- Apply for visa within 60 days after you receive invitation
- Your visa then will be processed soon
Our MARA Registered Immigration Agent Adelaide will help you to reduce the processing time of visa subclass 189.